Coast Vocal Challenge, Presented by: Kenton Chen
Kenton Chen has shared the stage with Sheryl Crow, Sara Bareilles, Stevie Wonder and opened for Ben Folds on his national “Lonely Avenue” tour. Kenton first gained national attention as music director for The Backbeats, finalists on Season 2 of NBC’s The Sing-Off. Since then, Kenton continues to perform his own music, teach, and perform with other artists, most notably, Postmodern Jukebox.
Kenton enjoys teaching because he loves giving people the tools to fully express themselves, and to foster the next generation of artists to their full potential. Check out incredible Kenton’s music:
How to Enter
- Visit the Coast Music Instagram Page: coastmusic_
- Listen to Kenton’s Vocal Riff (posted November 1st), and be sure to listen for every detail.
- Practice singing with his sample and practice singing it a cappella in the key of your choice.
- Feel free to transpose to the key you are most comfortable with.
- When you are ready, record yourself singing the riff.
- Post your performance of the riff on your Instagram and tag @coastmusic_ , @itskenton and #CoastVocalChallenge no later than November 15, 2020.
- If you have a private account, you must additionally DM us when you submit. You must accept our follow request, otherwise we won’t be able to see your submission.
- Finalists will be asked to submit their own original riff no later than November 25, 2020(new deadline). They will post in the same way by tagging @coastmusic_ , @itskenton and #CoastVocalChallenge
- Record on one device only with a single video and audio source.
- No video or audio editing is allowed. No fades, no mics, no reverb, no pitch correction or other enhancements are allowed.
- Submissions who do not follow these rules will not be considered.
- You must tag @coastmusic_ , @itskenton and #CoastVocalChallenge in order for us to see and consider your submission.
- There are two rounds of this competition. You will be notified if you make it into the second round by November 18th. The 2nd round contestants will need to create and record their own vocal riff which will be recorded in the same way and submitted no later than Monday, November 23rd. All finalists will receive prizes, and we will notify winners no later than Monday, November 30th.
Part 1 a transcription exercise, so here is what you what we will be looking for:
- Pitch Accuracy – Did you sing every note and interval correctly? Were the pitches centered?
- Rhythmic Accuracy – Did you sing the precise rhythm Kenton sang?
- Tone – Did you match Kenton’s vocal tone? Is your tone solid, strong and well supported?
- Dynamics & Phrasing – Are you using the dynamic shape kenton used? Are your accents in the right place, etc..
FYI: In order to keep this challenge fair, Coast Music students will not be judged by Coast Music faculty. Challengers will not be judged by their own teachers no matter who they study with. We will be sending submissions to vocal experts who do not have any personal relationship to the contestants.
This challenge is designed to be fun and educational. There is no fee to participate, and challengers will have the opportunity to learn from Kenton Chen!
- Finalists: All 5 finalists will receive 50% off one lesson with Kenton Chen and prizes that benefit singers. We repost and promote their talent on Coast Music’s social media platforms.
- The winner of this challenge will be named the “Coast Vocal Challenge 2020 Champion” and they will receive the same prizes as the other finalists plus a trophy, a free 20-minute consultation with Kenton Chen, a brand new mic and $100 cash. The grand prize winner’s talent will be featured on our website and social media outlets.